Tuesday 24 January 2012

Video Installation

For my video project I wanted to do something that people would want to watch over again. I must have spend hours on youtube trying to get inspiration until I decided on what to do. I know I wanted to do something physical, something that would be a challenge, something funny, something awesome.
I came to the decision that I wanted to film a ping pong ball trick shot video, but not like the ones already on youtube. I was going to spice up the ping pong ball throwing world like never before.

For my inspiration I used these three videos:





I love all the videos that inspired my video project and have attempted to incoporate all of them into my video. The first video from dude perfect shows basketball and frisbee trick shots and a rather epic scale, there's nothing complex about them they're just straight up long shots that require a lot of skill... and time.  The video is awesome and very inspiring. The negative points of the video are that some of the shots are too similar and need to be more varied. I tried to use the same enthusiasm in my video and used a couple of long shots.
Billy's Balls at The Berrics: I have used this as an inspirational video because although it's the same concept as the dude perfect video the trick shots are more complex however just as impressive. The music works well with it giving it a comical feel. A lot of time and effort went into the making of this video and it has worked very well. The only bad point about this video is the lighting can sometimes be a little bit too dark so you can't properly see what's going on.
Jimmy Carlin's Battle Commander: Although this is a skateboarding video I have tried to use some of the elements from it within my video. I have used the fillers and taken my own approach to them (obviously not drawing on my face) but using ping pong balls. I love the energy in this video and have incorporated that into my video, the music is fast tempo dance music and I have used that within my it just gives the video more energy and will make people want to watch it over and over again.
The Pong-Tang video is obviously the main inspiration I used for my video. The use of ping pong balls was very appealing as they're small and easy to carry around (unlike a basketball). No matter how inspirational the video is, it isn't that entertaining. It's slow, not that eventful and there's not much that makes you want to go out and do it.

The idea of using ping pong balls over basketballs was a very one sided argument basketballs are heavy and you can't really throw them around inside unless you have a basketball court or somewhere where there isn't anything to break, as well as there are a lot of people who play basketballs so it would be quite hard to produce a video where people would be supprised at something that you've done. It's hard to break anything with a ping pong ball, they weigh less then a gram and don't co-operate with wind.

My target audience is youtube because I could see my video becoming a viral favourite. I don't think that it would be suitable for anywhere else as there isn't any comtemporary components within it, just fun.
I used fillers like in Jimmy Carlin's Battle Commander along with the intro and the fast tempo music. I tried to use complex trick shots like in Billy's Balls at The Berrics as well as simple ones like in Dude Perfect. The videos that inspired me played a massive role in my video and I wouldn't have had half the ideas I did without them.

I filmed the video on my Canon 5D Mark ii very simple to use when it comes to filming, I then edited it using Microsoft Movie maker, not most creative of all editing software but very simple to use, I had no problems using it and it didn't take me very long.

This is my end video:

I feel like my video went really well and i'm very happy with it however if I was going to do it again I would maby make the video long and include a lot more shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment